October 23, 2008

Circus Ole'

If you ever had a chance to meet my dad, you know he was an "interesting" soul. Full of corny jokes, he could talk to a rock and never met a stranger. Anyway, for some odd reason, Dad was fascinated with Cirque du Soleil. There used to be Cirque specials on PBS and Dad would tape them to watch with the grandkids. A 70+ old-timer and a pile of grubby littles ones staring at the TV, oohs and aahs from all of them.

So Quidam came to Cincinnati in the fall of 2006. Of course we had to get tickets and take Mom and Dad. We had dinner at Chipotle beforehand (a favorite of mine until I saw how many points one burrito is! Uhh, NO!) and then headed to the big blue and yellow tent on the riverfront. We got a decent parking spot since Dad was handicapped (yeah, in the head!) and he and Jay got to sit in the front row. Mom and I wrestled with Park and Merr up near the roof, but still enjoyed it. Obviously it had some weird plot that I, in my supreme analytical and educated mind, thought I'd figured out. As we left, I asked an usher what the story was and I was totally off. (I blame the loss of brain cells on the pregnancies.) Good memories, especially digging cups out of the trash for our souvenirs. Those things were $8 a piece and I've got soap at home!

So when Jay said that Cirque was coming to NKU's new Bank of Kentucky Center, I knew we'd have to go again. I wanted to see the new Arena that Jay'd worked on and honor/remember Dad with another Cirque show. Saltimbanco had a plot, which we totally missed, and it wasn't as good as Quidam for us. Parker enjoyed it, especially the bicycle stunts and Spencer was fascinated with the lights and music and noises. Merritt, of course, was the terror. She "shared" my chocolate ice cream with hot fudge sauce (in the dark) and then Spencer spit up all over my cute new Halloween tee due to his first ear infection and bronchitis. When we hit daylight, man! I went in thinking I was sooo cute and looking good for my honey and left with brown spots all over my kakhi capris and dried/congealed yak all over my owl: Mom=NOT hot. Plus, no cute Cirque cups to pilfer from the trash! I actually had to pay for the souvenirs this time.

I love you, Dad, and miss you. Hope you enjoyed our show, as well as the show down on the arena floor.

No comments: