October 8, 2009

I'm No Award Winner

Disclaimer #1: The elementary school secretary is a crabby witch. She's grumpy and acts inconvenienced every time I call/visit for something. And it's not just my winning personality, I promise. She's mean to everyone.

Disclaimer #2: Even before children I was a nappin' queen. Can you imagine my utter need for a daily nap when I've got three wild and crazy monkeys?

Disclaimer #3: I can't think of one right now.

So yesterday I pick up HRH Merr from preschool at 11:30, we come home and have lunch. Then Nap Time! I lock her in her room (with a bungee cord--there's no other way to keep her contained.) And yes, that makes me cruel and unusual. Spence is in his cage and I snuggle down for a long fall nap. The phone rings at 1:30 but I don't recognize the caller id: "Sch & Parochial" so I ignore it. Two minutes later a friend from church calls, I ignore it--she'll leave a message, OK? Then immediately her husband's cell rings in. OK, ok, I'll answer this one.

"Uh, Misty, Parker's school called. There's been an accident on the playground and he's on his way to the hospital." What?! (FYI, Our friends are listed as emergency contacts for the school.) So I call the school and the crabby @#$%$ secretary acts all put out, like she tried and tried to call me (NOT. And since when does the school caller ID say Parochial and not the name of the school or the school district?) and Parker fell on the playground. He cut his head up in his hair, will need stitches and since she couldn't get a hold of me, they sent him to the hospital in the ambulance. I call Jay and he's out of breath from running to his car and panicked (He's a bit dramatic in a medical emergency.) Evidently the @#$$ crab only told him that Parker is hurt and bleeding from the head and is on his way to the hospital. Poor Jay! He doesn't know if Park's broke something or cracked his skull or if he's unconscious. It's just a cut and will need stitches.

I stay home with the other two and call Jay's work and our friends to explain things and calm everyone down, Jay hangs out in the ER with Parker and three stapes later, they come home. Jay's calves ached all night from running (We need more exercise, Dear.) and Parker's no worse for the wear.

So I'm a bad mother for napping and ignoring the phone call from the school. And here's pictures of Park to prove it:







Isn't my boy handsome, despite the bloody shirt and staples in his scalp? I love the closeup of his face--won't he catch all the girls in about 10 years?

And here's pictures Jay took from his iPhone in the ER.





5 comments:

Terri (Nanaw) said...

You still should have answered that phone. Poor Baby. Nanaw put a card in the mail today.

Joy said...

Poor Parker! I'm glad Jay made it there to be with him. What a story he'll have to tell - I'm sure his friends will think it's cool he went in an ambulance!

tania said...

You are seriously way too hard on yourself!!! Parker would have gotten the staples even if you DID answer the phone. Stick with the naptime routine. He was really proud of his staples today at church. :-)

gibbfamily said...

Hey Misty,
Yea, I have been blog stalking you. You are dang funny! Okay, so could Parker be any more handsome, seriously, he is CUTE! Too bad he is a bit young for my 8 year old! Maybe not? Sorry about his stitches and sorry about the job in AZ not working out. Keep blogging though, you crack me up!
Kacie

Lee Ann said...

So glad to see a new posing on your blog. It is about time. However, I hate that it had to be about Mr. Parker and his cracked open noggin. Hope he is doing ok and tell him all the Hockensmith's send kisses and hugs!

Aunt Lee Ann

BTW...you are NOT a bad mommy. We all have one (or maybe, in my case, several) of these stories. It just makes life way more interesting! And your version of it cracked me up, as usual! We still love you!!