October 7, 2009

We're Not the Jeffersons

Well, we moved! (Almost, but not really.) And to Phoenix, no less. Crazy, eh?

Jay told me a month or so ago about a job he was applying for--he's always applying and looking and scheming, so I thought nuthin' 'bout it. A week or so later, a phone interview. Whatever, I'm busy with diapers and dishes and important stuff like that. Then he tells me that he was flying to Phoenix the next week for an interview. What?! Phoenix, as in that dry desert out west, far from here, that has no water, trees or green grass? He flew out early on a Monday morning, got back late on a Tuesday night and said it went well. Holy snot, Batman! Phoenix? Then they tell him he's a finalist and they want to call references. Then they do a background check. In the meantime, I'm scoping out towns in the area, doing research online for the schools that are "Excelling" and start making calls to moving companies to get quotes. Serious, folks, serious. Can't make definite plans, or tell anyone important like his parents or my mom, until we know how soon they want us out there, what to do with this house, etc. Just waiting on an official offer...

So I'm excited, worried but mostly excited to make the move. What an adventure! And we can get a bigger house with maybe storage space and a garage we can put a car in and a wider driveway that we don't have to play leapfrog on. Bonus--lots more Mormons in Phoenix. Woo hoo! And how exciting would Phoenix be? What a big change. Then the offer finally comes in. What?! Seriously? We're supposed to move our entire lives--which we would totally do for the money, don't get me wrong--for that? With the cost-of-living difference, we'd be living poorer there than we are here! Our skinny driveway, one-car-garage/storage Cape Cod here would be $100 K more there, much less movin' on up in the world.

Very, very disappointed. Jay was excited at the job, the possibilities for advancing, I was excited for the adventure, maybe a newer minivan (I'm still dreaming of ya, Sienna!) and no snow. Bummer. No Dee-luxe apartment in the Sky-hi-hi.

More posts to come later. Maybe I'll even toss in a few pics of my posse for your viewing pleasure, including the further proof why you're a better mom than me.

2 comments:

Chantal said...

I was so so shocked you even considered it! It is fun to contemplate change though isn't it :)? I wish you better luck next time. I miss you. I'll call soon.

Chantal

Joy said...

wow! You guys can certainly keep a secret! Sorry it didn't work out! It took Trevor a year to land a crappy job in Lexington, with less pay. We took it anyway and he's advanced some since then. I hope Jay can get a new good paying job soon!